Congratulations to the Fridley High School (FHS) Speech team who finished an impressive 2021 season with a final Section 4AA tournament held on April 7, 2021. Ten students earned high performance scores and competed in final rounds. In addition, FHS senior Lulu Schirmacher placed first in Extemporaneous Reading and is advancing to the State competition, which will take place on Friday, April 23.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all Speech tournaments throughout the season were held virtually, and each team across the state competed at their home high school against students in their respective categories. Despite the challenges, the Fridley team competed at high levels - earning five first place finishes. Individual students also earned several top finishes throughout the season, including 21 first place medals in their categories. FHS’s 36-member Speech team earned an impressive total of 86 medals for first through fifth place finishes throughout the season.
Congratulations to the following Speech sectional finalists:
- Erik Hill in Creative Expression
- Cassady Callahan in Dramatic Interpretation
- Nick Richard in Dramatic Interpretation
- Devika Ramnarine & Priya Rana in Duo Interpretation
- Lulu Schirmacher in Extemporaneous Reading (advancing to State)
- Shakiro Hassan in Extemporaneous Speaking
- Marin Riddle in Serious Poetry
- Audrey Bardenpratt in Serious Prose
- Andy Hill in Storytelling