Engaging the community
We are in the process of updating our district's strategic plan.
In September and October 2022, we held a series of focus group sessions to gather input from our community. We engaged a broad community of stakeholders, including:
- Students of all ages
- Staff at all levels
- Parents/guardians and families
- Fridley community members
We held a combination of in-person and virtual engagements to solicit insight from our community, which allowed participants to share their thoughts at times and in ways that were most convenient for them. We intentionally included student voices in the process in order to create a strategic plan that represents the true mission and vision of the school system.
Find details about the process and a summary of community feedback in the Strategic Planning Fall 2022 Engagement Report presented to the Fridley School Board in December 2022.
We aim for Fridley to be "The best place to learn and the best place to work.” Over the last three years, we have had strategic priorities working towards this goal. As we come out of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have the opportunity to revisit our strategic direction and priorities.
Core planning team and draft strategic focus areas
In February 2023, we convened a committee composed of key Fridley constituencies, including current students and graduates, parents, teachers, administrators and community members. Over the course of a two-day workshop, this core planning team examined the results of our community engagement and participated in a series of activities focused on reviewing current data, identifying a practical vision for the district’s future, and investigating barriers that could impede attainment of that vision.
The team identified three strategic focus areas to help achieve the vision:
1. Co-create an environment where each and every individual thrives.
By dismantling traditional education practices that harm students and co-creating environments where all learners thrive, we will:
- Increase enrollment.
- Increase academic growth.
- Increase engagement, joy and a love of learning.
2. Ignite innovative learning together as a community.
In order to create a more relevant and engaging learning environment and to allow the community to connect with us, we will:
- Communicate in ways that the community needs.
- Explore and expand learning options for all students.
- Enhance our social-emotional curriculum and supports districtwide.
- Engage all parents as partners in their child's education.
3. Elevate inclusion, intersectionality and identity into everything we do.
To ensure that all people in Fridley Public Schools are heard, valued and allowed to be their authentic selves, we will:
- Continue to amplify student voice and choice.
- Create educational pathways to develop the next generation of FPS educators and leaders.
- Develop and define intersectionality to better understand diverse perspectives.
- Honor each individual's identity and their unique talents and contributions.
Review a summary of the core planning team's draft strategic focus areas.
Surveying the Community
In an effort to ensure the plan is on the right track, saught feedback from members of the Fridley Public Schools community via an online survey in multiple languages, which closed on March 8. Insights from this survey will be used to refine the plan before bringing it to the school board for review on March 21.
Finalizing the Plan
Stay tuned to this webpage for details on our next steps. This will be a community-developed plan designed to meet the unique needs, hopes and dreams of our Fridley community.
Thank you for being a part of this important process! If you have questions, contact email@example.com.