Fridley Public Schools is committed to providing specialized instruction to students who are English Language Learners (ELL). The goal of the ELL program is to allow students to:
- Demonstrate measurable, continuous progress in the development of skills in a variety of academic and nonacademic settings.
- Develop the ability to listen, read, write, speak and process English in a mainstream classroom setting utilizing language from all academic disciplines.
- Demonstrate positive social and behavioral skills necessary for culturally appropriate behavior.
- Demonstrate the ability to become productive citizens in American culture.
In addition, all ELL teachers:
- Understand that English Language Learners (ELL) bring knowledge and life experiences with rich diversity from their own cultures.
- Provide a quality education through modification of curriculum based on EL students' needs.
- Promote students’ growth in academic English, enhance cognitive growth, facilitate academic achievement, and encourage cultural and social adjustments.
- Commit to protecting and respecting the rights of students and their families.